Seats left: 88
Operating Kubernetes on IBM Cloud, Part 1 - Essentials
This workshop is an introduction to using containers on Kubernetes in the IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service (IKS). Together with its Part 2, this workshop helps you prepare for the exam needed for the Acclaim badge "Operating Kubernetes on IBM Cloud". Today, you will learn how to create and use two free, managed services on IBM Cloud: IKS and Container Registry. In practical hands-on labs you will create your own IKS cluster (which you can continue using after the workshop), deploy a sample application built with Docker container technology, scale this app and connect it to a back-end service.
Date: Wednesday, October 27 from 16:00 to 18:00 Central European Time
Access to materials: https://ibm.biz/operating-iks-workshop
Replay available: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/operating-kubernetes/1
If you are completely new in the world of Kubernetes, and have no prior knowledge, we recommend to watch first this one hour video: https://youtu.be/ijTcoAxSSSk. In this video you will learn all you need to know much more about containers and Kubernetes in order to benefit from today's workshop. By the end of this workshop, you’ll achieve these objectives:
• Understand core concepts of Kubernetes
• Build a Docker image and deploy an application on Kubernetes in the IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service • Control application deployments, while minimizing your time with infrastructure management
• Add AI services to extend your app
• Secure and monitor your cluster and app
Workshop format: this is a remote technical workshop with presentation, demo and hands-on exercises.
Speaker: Aco Vidovic, Hybrid Cloud Build Team Leader, IBM Central & Eastern Europe
Audience: IT DevOps roles
- IBM Kubernetes Service overview
- Kubernetes objects and features
- namespaces, pods, replica sets, deployments and services
- labels and selectors
- Working with CLI and configuration files
- Manage Kubernetes applications: deploying, scaling and updating
- Demo: create your free Kubernetes cluster on IBM Cloud
- Quiz: review what we learned today
- Hands-on exercises:
- Setup your IBM Kubernetes Service
- Deploy a container image
- Scale apps with replica sets and CLI
- Using configuration files
- Connect an app to a database
Prerequisites for attendees:
- basic knowledge of containers, their orchestration and Kubernetes, covered in this one hour video: https://youtu.be/ijTcoAxSSSk.
- you will use your laptops to perform exercises
- have IBM Cloud account. If you don't have it yet, you can create it for free at cloud.ibm.com/registration
Location: this is an online workshop. Participants and instructors will communicate via Crowdcast video conference.
Registration: log in at this web site using the menu option Login. If you don't have a user ID at this web site yet, create it by clicking on Login, then Sign up (link at the bottom), then check your mailbox to verify your new user ID. Then return to this page and register to the workshop by clicking the Register button at the bottom. You can always see the workshops you are registered at, using the menu option My events.
Please Login to register in this event!